Health and safety is non-negotiable and StraitNZ is committed to a healthy and safe workplace for all employees, contractors, customers and visitors at our sites, in our vehicles, and onboard our vessels.
Our dedicated health and safety team ensure our procedures are in line with industry best practice:
- Our approach to health and safety is proactive, with ongoing hazard identification and risk mitigation.
- Maintenance programmes ensure a fit for purpose, safe truck fleet, monitored at all times through E-Road.
- Training, skills testing and continuous monitoring through in-cab assessments for drivers is supported by a fatigue management programme.
- Bluebridge ships' class audits are in line with Marpol compliance to ensure the safety of passengers and workers.
- We foster an inclusive working environment that respects and values our people. This is reinforced through our prevention of bullying, harassment and discrimination policy.
- StraitNZ and ACC work together, with a focus on injury prevention and development of rehabilitation programmes for those recovering from injury and illness.
- A 100% drug and alcohol-free environment is crucial to staying safe. Our objective is to promote and maintain this through our reasonable cause testing, post-incident testing, and random testing protocols.
- We're committed to conducting business operations in an environmentally sustainable manner. We maintain full aspect and impact registers to monitor and mitigate any risk to the environment.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
- Code of Conduct: StraitNZ directors, executive team, senior management, and all employees, conduct themselves in accordance with the highest moral and ethical standards, informed by a robust Code of Conduct
- Human Rights: StraitNZ is dedicated to the preservation of basic rights and human dignity in our workplace and beyond.
- To monitor the Environmental, Social and Governance structure, performance and highlights of StraitNZ, a reporting process has been set up to enable management and the StraitNZ Board to review progress over time and to report internally and externally on ESG performance.
- StraitNZ continues to work closely with national regulators such as Maritime New Zealand, WorkSafe, New Zealand Transport Agency and the CVST Unit of the NZ Police to ensure we achieve our commitment to compliance with relevant laws and regulations across our operation. Our objective is to have no instances of non-compliance with relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- StraitNZ is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment where everyone feels respected and valued. We support an environment that encourages diverse thinking. One of our objectives is to drive and maintain an environment that is 100% free from harassment, bullying, or discrimination. StraitNZ implemented robust policies to support this and will continue to promote this and raise awareness.
- StraitNZ is dedicated to energy minimization initiatives and reducing GHG emissions. In 2022 StraitNZ Roadfreight achieved 50% transition of electric forklift usage. With a goal to achieve 98% by 2029.
- StraitNZ is dedicated to waste minimization initiatives by greater recycling of on-board cooking oil for the Bluebridge vessels. In 2022 StraitNZ recycled 90% of the cooking oil with a goal of 99% by 2029.
- StraitNZ is dedicated to a reduction in shipping carbon intensity. Each Bluebridge vessel to maintain a minimum CII rating of “C” or better and decreased its CII score by the annual reductions’ targets set by the IMO. In 2022 StraitNZ Bluebridge vessels achieved this. Verified by external verifier DNV.
Commitment to Net Zero by 2050
StraitNZ is accelerating its climate change efforts. This builds on work already done to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. StraitNZ has aligned its objectives and has committed to Net Zero by 2050. StraitNZ will review its progress to ensure it stays on track.